The automotive industry is evolving at an unprecedented pace, driven by technological advancements, changing consumer preferences, and the growing emphasis on sustainability. As the industry continues to transform, brick-and-mortar car dealerships must adapt to stay relevant and provide exceptional customer experiences. In this article, we will explore the current trends in the car industry and their potential impact on dealerships. We will also share what brick-and-mortar car dealerships should consider when hiring a design-build construction partner to design, build and/or renovate its dealership.
Trends in the Car Industry Today:
- Electric Vehicles (EVs): The rise of electric vehicles is reshaping the automotive landscape. With increasing environmental awareness and government incentives, EVs are gaining popularity. Dealerships must adapt by incorporating charging infrastructure, training sales teams on EV technology, and showcasing the benefits of electric mobility.
- Digital Transformation: Technology is revolutionizing the car buying experience. Online vehicle research, virtual showrooms, and digital platforms for transactions are becoming mainstream. Dealerships need to embrace these digital solutions and create an omnichannel experience that seamlessly integrates the online and offline worlds for a more convenient buying experience.
- Mobility as a Service (MaaS): The concept of car ownership is shifting towards mobility services. Ride-sharing, car subscriptions, and autonomous vehicles are redefining how people access transportation. Dealerships can capitalize on this trend by exploring partnerships and diversifying their business models to offer mobility services alongside traditional sales.
- AI and Advanced Safety Features: Consumers are increasingly prioritizing safety features in their vehicle purchases. Artificial Intelligence is becoming the “new normal” with Advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), autonomous emergency braking, and adaptive cruise control. Dealerships must educate their staff and invest in training to effectively communicate these features to customers and ensure their service departments can handle the increasing complexity of these systems.
- Sustainable Practices: Sustainability is a growing concern in the automotive industry. Dealerships can incorporate environmentally friendly practices such as energy-efficient buildings, renewable energy sources, and eco-friendly materials. Embracing sustainability not only aligns with consumer values but also reduces operating costs in the long run.
The Impact on Brick-and-Mortar Dealerships: The above trends have a significant impact on brick-and-mortar dealerships, requiring them to adapt and innovate. Here are a few key considerations for dealerships when hiring a design-build construction company to build or renovate its dealership:
- Experience and Expertise: Look for a construction company with a proven track record in designing and constructing successful, modern, technologically-advanced dealerships with adherence to industry standards, and have an understanding of the unique requirements of the automotive industry.
- Design Capabilities: Evaluate the company’s design capabilities and ensure they can create a space that aligns with your brand identity and customer experience goals. Look for creativity, attention to detail, and the ability to integrate the latest trends and technologies.
- Technological Integration: Ensure the construction company understands the need for seamless integration of digital technology within the dealership. This includes interactive displays, virtual reality showrooms, efficient vehicle service bays, and digital tools that enhance the customer experience.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Given the rapidly evolving nature of the industry, dealerships must be able to adapt to changing market demands. Look for a construction company that designs flexible spaces, allowing for easy reconfiguration and future expansion.
- Flexible Spaces: Many dealerships are opting for flexible and adaptable spaces that can be easily reconfigured to accommodate changing needs. This allows for a more efficient use of space, whether for vehicle displays, customer lounges, or service areas.
- Emphasis on Service Centers: With an increasing focus on after-sales service, car dealerships are expanding and upgrading their service centers. This includes incorporating state-of-the-art equipment, comfortable waiting areas, and efficient workflow designs.
- Sustainability Focus: As sustainability becomes increasingly important, owners should prioritize construction companies that embrace eco-friendly practices and energy-efficient designs, and can help owners incorporate green initiatives into their dealership projects like solar panels, LED lighting, and efficient HVAC systems.
- Compliance with Industry Standards: Car dealerships have specific regulations and compliance requirements that need to be met. Ensure that the construction company is well-versed in local building codes, safety standards, and environmental regulations.
- Client Satisfaction: Select a construction company with a reputation for excellent project management, effective communication, and years of client satisfaction.
The car industry is experiencing a paradigm shift, driven by technological advancements, changing consumer preferences, and sustainability concerns. By partnering with an experienced car dealership design-build construction partner, owners can ensure that their dealership aligns with the latest industry trends, integrates cutting-edge technology, and positions them as leaders in the automotive space.
OCI, an established company known for its expertise in creating exceptional automotive facilities, is uniquely qualified to deliver innovative and high-quality projects that meet the unique requirements of car dealership owners. Visit www.ocidesignbuild.com to explore Oliver Construction’s impressive portfolio and testimonials from partners including design-build construction partner, Nissan and Chevrolet.